Fiscal responsibility & ethics reform
- Passed legislation to finally bring transparency to taxpayers about the state’s debt responsibilities.
- As chairman of the powerful House Appropriations General Services Committee, Crespo led the charge to call out abuses in state Medicaid contracts that have led to wasteful spending and poor health care for the neediest in Illinois.
- Opposed the abuses of Cook County Assessor Joe Berrios by endorsing his opponent Fritz Kaegi, and passed several major ethics reforms bills, including legislation that prevents Berrios and other paid Cook County elected officials from becoming lobbyists.
- Passed legislation to eliminate the often abused Legislative Scholarships.
- Passed legislation creating the Grant Accountability Transparency Act.
- As chairman of the House Elementary and Secondary Education School Curriculum Policies Committee, Fred led the charge for massive reform in the way Chicago Public Schools handle special education students and sexual abuse cases.
- Helped pass legislation to make the state’s school funding system more fair and equitable.
- Secured full funding for bilingual education.
- Introduced legislation to implement the Every Student Succeeds Act, which replaced the No Child Left Behind Act.
Job creation & protecting the middle class
- Created thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in economic development in the northwest suburbs.
- Led the charge for new highway interchanges, including the tollway I-90/Barrington Road interchange, and tourism and convention center funding for Schaumburg and surrounding communities.
- Secured additional funding that helped open the St. Alexius Women and Children Hospital.